Test server

3 November 2015 01:25

Test server is been running for a while, but I never did write about it. So, we have Server #0 aka CityMania TEST server. It is used for trying any new stuff that for some reason doesn't seem to be ready for deployment on our main servers. That may be new game mode, new server feature, new OpenTTD version and so on.

Despite that it will normally function as any other server meaning your game will be scored, you'll get exp, etc. But keep in mind that
it's a test server after all, something can go wrong and I'll have to reset that game afterwards (especially if it's a new game mode being tested). So to keep out players that aren't aware of it, server will usually be protected with simple password "test".

That said, sometimes I will need your help with testing, and that's the main reason I started this topic. I'll be posting here updates when I introduce something new to test. Feel free to try it and give any feedback. The more people will test it the less chances are that bugs will make their way to main servers.

3 November 2015 01:33

And atm we're testing 1.5.3-RC1. The most important change is that extra houses bug (FS#6362) was fixed, but there are some other changes that affect town growing and some interface fixes. You can find full changelog here.

I've also updated CityMania client to 1.5.3-RC1, it's in downloads section as usual.

30 January 2016 23:41

It seems I found a way to allow destroying objects and industries in claimed town radius. Also this trick may allow me to do more cool stuff in future. But for now I enabled it on test server (classic cb modes only), please test it well. It involves enabling magic bulldozer cheat so can be really disastrous if I forgot some checks xD

As of now only drawback I know is that dynamiting area fails entirely if it contains industry or object (normally it clears whatever it can). But there is no easy cure for that so I think it's fine trade-off.

2 February 2016 20:40

That's awesome!

27 March 2016 00:08

New feature for long-running games. Unserviced primary industries production will now be kept within initial range, so map won't be affected by time too much. Most important ofc is that industries won't be drying out anymore. But there shouldn't be lucky over-producing industries either. It will also rebuild secondary industries immediately after closure.

Cash goals (15m and 1bil) were suffering the most so they are first ones to use new feature (ofc only on test server for now).

29 November 2016 02:21

New feature testing on server 0. Clearing all kinds of land (but not water) now costs the same as plain grass tile. Since I can't disable fields without newgrfs I thought I'd do it this way. Keep in mind though that actual cost doesn't go down, just server is paying compensation immediately after each building action, but you still need full amount to do it.

Also while I was at it I also did full compensation for all bridges, tunnels and foundations (but just the structure, you still pay for the rail/road). That is to make it more fair for people that started later and have to bridge over others tracks.

While I originally thought of doing compensations for just, say, first two years of company I decided to keep it always on to make things simpler (as it doesn't matter for big company anyway).

Right now it's only working test server but I intend to eventually enable it everywhere unless we find some issues with it. Have my doubts about quest servers though.