[Event] Christmas Event 2016

22 December 2016 21:12

Ho! Ho! Ho! Its Christmas time again! And this year I got into NewGRF making so It's going to be a very unique game mode. You can get a sneak-peek of our preparations for it on our test server (CityMania #0), but some important things will be kept secret till the very event.

Date : Wednesday, December 28th at 20:00 CET

Climate: Christmas special

Game mode: Unique variation of City-Builder. Based on our new CB mode, but money will be more important.

Goal: Be first to reach 100k inhabitants in claimed town (or max population after 20 years if 100k isn't reached)

Train set: Only MEOW engines from NUTS on PURR rails. Accelerated progress: new engine almost every year.

Server: CityMania #9 (will become online at least 30 minutes before the event)

Participants:

You're not required to register for this event in any way. But if you are interested and can be around, let us know by commenting in this thread, we'll reserve a spot for you.

You can team up for this event but top players are advised to play solo ;)

event teaser

22 December 2016 21:28

I had a look to server Test, I will need to play with it as I have no idea what is going on (that train set ^^), but yeah, I will be there. Will stream on twitch also.

If you have other availability we could think of moving the event, but 28th seems to be a good try.

23 December 2016 18:48

Sounds cool. Im in!

24 December 2016 13:32

Posted on reddit, if anyone as a nice picture to put there, keep me updated ;)

25 December 2016 16:09

And I posted on tt-forums. Picture is nice idea, I'll try to prepare some.

UPD. Added two pictures (smaller one is in the news).

28 December 2016 19:54

It's about to start. Twitch link for anyone : https://www.twitch.tv/darulezzz

29 December 2016 01:51

Oh well, looks like no one was strong enough to last till the end of the event ;) Or, rather, I did but I was out of competition anyway since I prepared it. So, I guess, we call it a draw.

So, what do you think, why so little interest? Was it too crazy landscape, too hard requrements, bad event date or all together?

And yeah, landscape, what do you think of it? Of toyland industries, meow-nuts trains, alpine climate? And that money-cb variation?

I'm thinking of setting up server like this but for some easier goal, like current multigoal cb. Mb won't keep it always on but only near special holydays.

Here is a link to the game, it has savegame: 80539

29 December 2016 02:08

Maybe my fault - without want it, I made a BTPro Christmas tourny and dP, after we talk, adjusted his idea. I suggest a 2017 welcome event, on a weekend! The map and other settings were perfect - Due my connection I couldn't play this one. But I felt the need to support the awesome dP's work on newgrf work - It was perfect - only the goal/demands needs some tweaks. My suggestion: Open the server for some tests - and set a new date - I'll be for it :)

29 December 2016 12:35

Aye, it was a fun event, I was a bit laggy maybe because of the streaming, so I gave up at some point. I also had troubles with how cb was working, I guess I didn't pay attention to hints ;)

Regarding attendance, it's just the openttd community who is not that huge (usually less than 10 redditors avg). There was some viewers on twitch, up to 8 ^^ Also game was a bit hard to start getting real money, .

I liked the planes, the map was fun, those snowy teddy bears were strange but why not. Protection in city for destruction was interesting. Trainset was disturbing (upgrading to monorail without upgrading rails), but improvement over time was great. Didn't like the design of trains, I somehow prefer to have real trains.

Overall it was working perfectly, without any bugs. I would like to have some cb goals with those trainsets, planes, and settings, could be challenging. The cb mode is a bit complex, so we could have it as an option on the extreme hard game server.

Thanks dP for everything.