[Event] CityMania Two Year Anniversary Tournament

23 May 2017 18:35

Hi all,

Time flies and it's almost two years since we started our servers. And I think it's a good cause to celebrate that we're still alive and kicking :) Nothing too fancy this time, just a regular temperate city-builder without NewGRFs. Though I thought let's give another try to income-based cargo requirements (like in Christmas event). Meaning that you'll be required to make certain monthly income from cargo delivered to your town instead of its amount like in regular CB.

You can practice for this event on our test server called "CityMania.org TEST - 2nd Anniversary Event (June 4) Practice".

Date: Sunday, June 4th at 16:00 CEST

Game Mode: 50K temperate 3h (12 years), new CB server mod with income-based cargo requirements (like in Christmas event).

OpenTTD version: 1.7.0

Goal of the game: Be first to reach population of 50,000 people in claimed town (or max population after 12 years if 50k isn't reached)

Server: CityMania #9 (will become online at least 30 minutes before the event)

Participants:

• [comment to join]

You're not required to register for this event in any way. But if you are interested and can be around, let us know by commenting in this thread, we'll reserve a spot for you.

You can team up for this event but top players are advised to play solo ;)

UPD: Game link (you can find savegame there).

23 May 2017 18:37

We haven't decided on exact time yet, so let us know when you can play if you're interested in participating. Right now I'm thinking of doing it at 14:00 CEST but may shift it to evening time.

26 May 2017 08:26

Hey, I'm in, it's been so long I did not find time to have some trains =]

Shall we post it on reddit ?

26 May 2017 15:59

Sure, we'll post it everywhere, but we need to decide on exact time first. I kinda hoped some other players would reply by this time but I guess nobody reads forum, so we'll have to decide ourselves. Also wanted to setup a practicing server before making posts.

31 May 2017 18:17

Since I added forum mentioning notifications let's put them to some use.

Saber lol solo Martin Gelidis despr Shader vGelder Nice_guy HSquishy rath tommyk HonzaSabCZE Kalic sergunff Meld TWAIN

What do you guys think about this event, will you be able to participate?

P.S Feel free to mention more people in case I forgot someone since that's our only method of sending notifications currently ^^

31 May 2017 18:29

Oh, and I completely forgot to mention that we have test server running this event setup so you can practice there.

31 May 2017 21:36

Hi! I got a mail :)

This is unfortunatly a bad time for me as I am in the middle of trying to finish my education. I think I can come and hang ut and spectate a bit though.

2 June 2017 03:33

I would like to, at least, watch. But will be totally off grid the weekend :S

I just don't understand why this text was added on the BTPro post:

We have differen rules than BTPro servers, but ours are more permissive so you'll be fine if you just follow BTPro ones. Though you might want to learn some nifty tricks that aren't allowed on BTPro ;)

Original text it's here or, outside text here

Anyway, allow me, at least, make similar references on our next Tourny, with the justifications why "satellite" stations aren't allowed on BTPro and why are allowed on OpenTTD (default settings)!

Anyway, I'm replying because of the above quote but, sadly, can't be present!

Ah, dP still needs to make a server with 25 max station spread, with current CM rules, to prove that wasn't worthless all the time I tried to explain BTPro rules! If you remember, my condition was: next time you mentioned BTPro rules, you needed to make a server with max 25 station tile spread (me or you can post chat logs here). I set the start and you bought it, quote above is clear enough so, the game is on! And I expect to see something running after - 25 tiles max station size - dP always thinks small, and it's EASY to deal with a max 7x7. If can't make a 25x25 station size, with CM rules, best way is saying it, here (on IRC was that amount of... silence :S)!

So, I'm now waiting for a REGULAR CityMania server with 25 tiles max station spread, with CM rules. Ofc, after tourny!

Damn, that could be even this 2 years Tournament!!

So, yeah, won't play anything "to learn some nifty tricks that aren't allowed on BTPro" ^^

2 June 2017 14:31

ST2 wrote:

I just don't understand why this text was added on the BTPro post:

We have differen rules than BTPro servers, but ours are more permissive so you'll be fine if you just follow BTPro ones. Though you might want to learn some nifty tricks that aren't allowed on BTPro ;)

It was added to let BTPro players know that our rules are compatible enough that they don't have to spend time learning them if they just want to drop in and have some fun. But if they're dead serious on winning this tournament there will be some advantage to understanding the differences between the rules and using tricks our rules allow.

And if you didn't notice I specificaly modified the announcement to focus on our advantages and refrain from anything that might be veiwed as me stating that BTPro is some way inferior, be it gameplay or rules. Every rule has advantages and disadvantages to having it and the're is'n any "right" or "wrong" choice here. In fact different rulesets reflect different philosophies of our communities and serve to shape up a different gameplay. All of that is trully wonderful since allows more variety for players, there woulnd't be much sense in keeping having different communities if they were exactly the same.

So, in case of spreading, yes, we won't be having super-long trains any time soon, but in turn we keep players from getting in a situations where they can by accident or temptation break that super-complex spreading rule. And some of such cases are nearly imposible for moderators to notice thus calling in question validity of the highscores.

ST2 wrote:

So, yeah, won't play anything "to learn some nifty tricks that aren't allowed on BTPro" ^^

It's rules that separate tricks from cheats so you need to be perfectly aware of all the nuances in the rules to be able to push the limits of your gameplay and devise new tricks and tactics. And knowing only one side of the picture isn't enough, you also need to learn what exactly isn't allowed to avoid using it. Or, alternatively, propose a change in rules. Our community has enough examples when rules were changed to accommodate new cool tricks invented by players.