[Fixed] Servers closed ?

18 October 2018 15:22

Dear all,

I try connect one of your servers, but I did not see anything. Can you give me information about the servers ?

27 November 2018 14:33

I guess they are....

30 November 2018 16:19

Not exactly closed, more like abandoned. By both players and admins sadly. At some point server died and so far neither me nor da seem to have time and enthusiasm to fully restore it.

1 December 2018 13:54

dP wrote:

Not exactly closed, more like abandoned. By both players and admins sadly. At some point server died and so far neither me nor da seem to have time and enthusiasm to fully restore it.

Hello quite sad, anything to do to help ? Amaury

2 December 2018 15:28

Well, main problem is lack of players really. Average of 1-2 active players isn't quite enough to justify running 10 servers 24/7 tbh. And how to attract more players I've no idea. I tried doing cool new features and events but people don't seem to be interested. And openttd itself slowly dying doesn't help either.

On a bright side we can keep it running pretty much forever, just maintenance going to be like that, whenever someone has time for it. Currently we've already restored everything after the crash and are ready to launch servers again. I'm just holding it off for a few days to make it easier to do some improvements I've never managed to finish previously. Nothing too impressive but it will make maintaining servers easier in future.

Btw Openttd 1.9 will also bring some interesting features for CB. But we'll likely have to wait for it till April.

3 December 2018 01:32

Hi there, As Citymania is the last real descendant of ex's, those servers who brought openttd mp to an whole new era, (as i see/ remember things), it MUST not die. And it still has unique features like quest system no other server has! So pleeaase... :)

How to bring players? My opinion: Make it more accessible/ easier. I'm not saying at all that every game has to be easy, but when i look i.e. at btpro, most people are on mini-cb or quick goal games which often don't last longer than an hour and are ridiculously easy.

Just my 2 cents. Thank you for your great work.

5 December 2018 12:45

If you can, please restart the two quest servers. The quest is an unique thing in the ottd world. I love it, and I miss it :) Thank you :)

13 December 2018 09:28

Tremeng wrote: people are on mini-cb or quick goal games which often don't last longer than an hour

He might be saying sometehing worth while, a main issue is the cb takes 3 hours, who has 3 hours these days? Maby shortening it to 2 hours would do some good. Also the starting automaticly on the hour like 16.00-18.00, 18.00-20.00 like that, now you join, server starts and any other player thinks like meh.... he started already noway I can beat him, wont join,... (we used to have this, why did it change?)

I for one check regularly if no basic cb servers emerge again.

13 December 2018 17:48

Well, it's not like we haven't tried it all. There were 2 hour CB games at some point but they didn't gain traction. And we already have a lot of short game modes: blitz(1h) cb, 5-10-30k multigoal cb, 15m cash. And Classic 3h CB is going to stay as it is since it's the exact same game mode as it was on Luukland and Novapolis and you can compare scores with those.

As for timetables we were running a lot of servers like that at first and I think Server 6 still does run on timetable. But it didn't really work with that small amount of players. No one showed up on time, even for traditional 9pm game. Besides there isn't rly much room on a map for a several teams going all out. So instead of ingame competition it gradually moved to highscores competition.

14 December 2018 19:28

I guess we need an openttd steam version. A free to play game there could boost our community, unfortiantly that isnt a citymania thing. It will be a surprice to see when and if the servers get back up. I do will keep an eye on the forums.

<3 boris

17 January 2019 14:01

hi guys, mmx here, just want to add, that I love citymania since the day it was called luukland :) (i know cm is a fork)... it kept me busy whole night at work where otherwise i would fall asleep of being bored.

I agree we need 1 hour cb games, and 2 hour cb games, but i'd add that 5 hour variant can be also cool for long nights at work. [security guard, not much to do at night]. and i agree, game should be running continuously not just when someone starts it after joining server.

Let's see what OTTD 1.9 brings to the table. Just don't let these servers die. We had hard times saving them after last crew gave up... I want to show OpenTTD to my friends and colleauges who love strategy games as well. but for that I need CM servers.

13 February 2019 02:09

I agree with all words above, reason why I've contacted dP, with a solution (among all possible ones ^^) Details of the offer, I'll leave to dP to share - I'm only the middle man of what can be good to OpenTTD players!

dP, talk with darulezzz, because was a honest offer: it's up to you ;)

15 February 2019 17:10

ST2, as I already told you I see absolutely no point in joining citymania with btpro. They're completely different both technically and gameplay-wise and even target players of a different skill level. It's also not really a "solution" for anything as it brings more problems than it solves.

Anyway, citymania servers will be back in a week or two and will even have some new features. I'll leave the details for the announcement. Also citymania client for 1.9.0-beta2 is mostly finished already. There are still some issues to sort out due to 1.9.0 changes so I'm not posting binaries just yet. But it's playable so whoever is ok compiling it can get it here: https://bitbucket.org/citymania/cmclient

5 March 2019 11:20

dP wrote:

ST2, as I already told you I see absolutely no point in joining citymania with btpro. They're completely different both technically and gameplay-wise and even target players of a different skill level. It's also not really a "solution" for anything as it brings more problems than it solves.

Anyway, citymania servers will be back in a week or two and will even have some new features. I'll leave the details for the announcement. Also citymania client for 1.9.0-beta2 is mostly finished already. There are still some issues to sort out due to 1.9.0 changes so I'm not posting binaries just yet. But it's playable so whoever is ok compiling it can get it here: https://bitbucket.org/citymania/cmclient

Good to hear, I will be waiting till servers go up again :)

6 March 2019 20:16

Hi,

Just wanna say that although I do not play much anymore I appreciate it very much that you guys are keeping the servers alive.

Many good memories from these serves <3